Charles Dickens Novels (and puzzle)

the puzzle-- Charles Dickens and His Novels©booksandbuttons

the puzzle–
Charles Dickens and His Novels©booksandbuttons

The puzzle continues, is almost finished.  I noticed that you can
find it yourself at Citadel Puzzles in UK if you are tempted.  There
has been a *fine* addition to the puzzle table in the last day . . .

Dickens jigsaw puzzle 002

Now the puzzle will sail along for sure!

And now it’s time for you to help me out with a decision.
When the puzzle is finished, and when I’ve wrapped up
the two books I’m reading now, I would like to start a
Dickens novel to warm up this long winter.

Here are the choices of books I haven’t read yet by
Dickens.  What would you recommend?

Hard Times
Nicholas Nickleby
Old Curiosity Shop
Barnaby Rudge
Dombey and Son
Little Dorrit
Our Mutual Friend

Will be waiting to hear from you—and thanks!
Hey! wait a minute!  Is that snow again?

Share Button
This entry was posted in books, Dickens, puzzle and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Charles Dickens Novels (and puzzle)

1. FictionFan says:

Nicholas Nickleby would be my pick – one of the best. Drama, pathos, humour…all human life is here! And will give you plenty of time to get through those choccies…

• booksandbuttons says:

Thank you! I was leaning toward NN, and I certainly trust your
      judgment in books. I would want a lovely copy–with illustrations.
      (Actually it doesn’t take me very long to go through chocolate.)

• FictionFan says:

I’m gradually collecting the Nonesuch editions. I’ve always hankered for a complete matching set of leatherbound editions, but even if I could afford them, no-one seems to be producing them these days. The Nonesuch ones are nice quality though, and have the original illustrations.

• booksandbuttons says:

I’m not familiar with the Nonesuch editions–from the 1930s?–but will
          keep an eye out for them. Sound interesting. In the meantime, I’ve
          found a copy of Nicholas Nickleby and will write about it soon.

• FictionFan says:

Yes, they were originally published in the 30s, but they reissued them back in about 2010 – they’re the ones I’m collecting, rather than the originals. But apparently, they’re identical – even down to the occasional typo! I love my Kindle, but sometimes it’s nice to read a real, nice quality hardback for a change…

• booksandbuttons says:

These definitely sound interesting! A granddaughter loves Dickens, too, and collects the
            Everyman editions, which are nice, but I do like illustrations! Thanks for the hint. I
            hardly ever use my Kindle, but it’s handy to have sometimes . . .thanks for tuning in.

2. Booksilver says:

I like _Nicholas Nickleby_, but I’d vote for _Old Curiosity Shop_ if you haven’t read it yet. I think you’d really like it. Are you in the mood for theatre or antiques? That might help determine the choice. (My current favorite is _Our Mutual Friend_).

• booksandbuttons says:

Since I’m spending so much time with the Dickens puzzle, I
      am “in the mood” for almost anything Dickens. I think I’ll
      read the first pages of each NN and Curiosity Shop to help
      me decide. Of course I hope to read them all someday. Thanks
      for giving your input–I know you know Dickens! hm, theatre
      or antiques, theatre or antiques . . .how about theatre AND