What Are You Reading?

How is your summer reading list coming along?

When I check mine, I’m about halfway through–and
about halfway through the summer.  It would help if
I wouldn’t detour and read other books that *aren’t*

on the list!  I’m making nice progress through The Magic Mountain
by Thomas Mann—and won’t THAT be a nifty one to cross off on
old those good reading lists!  And I’m crawling, and I mean crawling
through Lady Susan en francais —-I have barely any idea what is
happening—I think people don’t like her because she flirts with
their husbands/boyfriends . . .and doesn’t get invited to their
estates for the weekend and so forth.

A couple of weeks ago, while listening to a Stephen King tape
about how he writes, I was curious about a book he spoke of–
The Liars Club by Mary Karr–a memoir.  Well, I like memoirs
said I, and I borrowed it from the library.  Hated it. (read it cover
to cover)–still hated it.

And day before yesterday I finished a wonderful book (not on
my reading list)—-The Naive and the Sentimental Novelist
by Orhan Pamuk.  It is composed of his lectures that he gave
at Harvard in 2009, about how he writes—and his interpretations
of how writers write.  I gobbled that one up and made copious notes.
Pamuk wrote My Name Is Red—-and in that book, even the colors had
speaking parts like characters.  I loved it—genius.

So that’s my story—and getting ready for some company to
visit—which may involve sewing and shopping and old movies!
When was the last time you watched the old original movie of
Rebecca with Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine?  It will be
playing at our house this week!!

Share Button
This entry was posted in books, Summer Reading List and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to What Are You Reading?

1. WORDMAN says:

I have been hypnotized by Donna Tartt. Ever since I read her second book, The Secret History, I can’t seem to get enough. I am now reading her first book, The Little Friend. I am taking my time so as not to miss anything.

• booksandbuttons says:

Thank you for letting us know what you’re reading! On your
      recommendation I hope to read Donna Tartt one day soonish.
      I wonder if you will like The Little Friend better than
      The Secret History . . .

2. FictionFan says:

There’s no point in me making lists – I can never resist adding more! But you seem to be having a good reading summer overall, and I’m very impressed that you’re sticking to Lady Susan. I must admit any time I try to read anything in French I feel lost even with a dictionary to hand. Somehow knowing all the words doesn’t necessarily help in knowing what the sentences mean!

• booksandbuttons says:

I agree. French is difficult. But, according to a recent
      article in the New York Times, I’m improving my brain cells
      by learning a new language at “my age.” No doubt you will
      notice a lift in intellectual caliber in my upcoming posts.
      Ha-ha.

3. Stefanie says:

I’ve not read Karr but I have read King’s book and liked that one very much. I like Pamuk too and didn’t know about his book of lectures which I am now going to have to put on my TBR list!

• booksandbuttons says:

funny, when you mentioned “King’s” book, I was
      thinking . . .King’s book? Had to look up what
      I had written. OH, Stephen King—funny, I never
      think of him as “King” always “Stephen King”.
      Hope you like the Pamuk as much as I did. Thanks